(a) Objectives. It is found that the protection, enhancement, perpetuation and use of historic structures within the City of San Mateo are of economic, cultural, and aesthetic benefit to the community. It is further found that the economic, cultural and aesthetic standing of the City will be enhanced by respecting the heritage of its historic structures and the downtown historic district. The purposes of this chapter are as follows:
(1) Designate, preserve, protect, enhance, and perpetuate the City's historic structures and the downtown historic district;
(2) Foster public awareness and appreciation of the City's past;
(3) Stabilize and improve the economic value of structures and properties within the City and the downtown historic district;
(4) Develop and maintain appropriate settings for historic structures;
(5) Enhance the visual and aesthetic character, diversity and interest of the City; and
(6) Establish requirements to insure the preservation and maintenance of the City's historic structures and the downtown historic district.