Notwithstanding any other provisions of this Chapter, the following signs are permitted:
(a) Signs being held by one or more persons on public property.
(b) Traffic safety signs placed on public property by private persons as directed by a public official as part of the authorization to perform work on public property or in the public right-of-way, or in connection with an event taking place on public or private property.
(c) Signs placed by a public officer or employee acting in their official capacity, including such signs as traffic signs, public transit signs, public restroom signs, public parking signs, warning signs, or signs identifying the location of emergency centers, public facilities or places of public interest.
(d) Banners placed on street light poles subject to the following limitations and requirements:
(1) Banners may only be placed on street light poles within commercial areas designated by City Council resolution;
(2) Only banners that announce an activity or event of community-wide interest, or commemorate a community institution located in the City of San Mateo may be placed on street light poles;
(3) No banner shall be placed on a street light pole for more than 90 days within a calendar year, except that banners announcing an event or activity, or commemorating a community institution that are placed by a public agency (such as a local, state or federal agency or special district) and at least partially sponsored by the City may be placed on a street light pole for up to 180 days within a calendar year;
(4) No banner placed on a street light pole shall exceed 25 square feet in area;
(5) At least 75% of the display area of banners placed on street light poles shall contain artwork or text describing the community activity or event, or the institution being commemorated, and no more than 25% of the display area may be used to depict the name or logo of the sponsoring entity, or entities;
(6) Banners and attachments placed on street light poles must obtain approval from the Director of Public Works to ensure the banners will remain safely affixed to the street light poles and will not present a threat to the safety of those making use of nearby streets and sidewalks;
(7) No banner or attachment shall be placed on a street light pole before an encroachment permit is issued under San Mateo Municipal Code Chapter 17.08; and
(8) Banners must be removed no later than the last date of the authorized display period.